Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) seeks a Digital Marketing Manager. This position, which will report to the Director of Digital Communications, will use a data-driven approach to run the organization’s growing email communication program. Working with the Communications and Development teams, as well as program departments, this role will plan, draft and execute email campaigns to achieve fundraising, advocacy, and organizing goals, as well as to engage, grow, and diversify our base of supporters through paid and organic growth strategies.
Americans United plays a prominent role in the national debate over issues that have taken center stage in recent years, including discrimination in the name of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, religious freedom, school prayer, and vouchers.
As part of this strategy, the organization is seeking a candidate with digital non-profit fundraising, analytics, and written communications skills to hit the ground running and take day-to-day responsibility for our growing email communications program. The candidate will also work with the Communications team to maximize the impact of a new brand and positioning rolling out in early 2022, developing strategies to reach and educate new target audiences.
The responsibilities of the Digital Marketing Manager include:
- Work with the Director of Digital Communications and the Senior Director of Direct Response Marketing to help develop and implement email campaigns that grow the file, meet or exceed fundraising goals, support organizational initiatives, drive action for advocacy and optimize user performance and experience, based on data-driven messaging
- Manage the organization-wide email calendar and collaborate with members of the communications team and other departments to create an engaging communications strategy for our digital audience across platforms, including email, social media, the website, earned media, and other communications tools
- Project manage timelines for the execution of email communications calendar across internal team and external partners
- Help strategize methods for reaching new and diverse audiences
- With assistance from senior Communications staff, draft email content for targeted audiences, rapid response, and specialty emails:
- Cultivate AU’s voice and the voice of AU staff and messengers
- Ensure email content is creative, inspiring, and engaging—including a weekly AU newsletter, organizing and advocacy outreach, and fundraising copy
- Oversee internal review routing process and coordinate copy editing
- Execute production of email:
- Set up emails including HTML production, and dissemination
- Work closely with Design and Creative Manager on graphics & other creative content
- Build online petitions, advocacy actions, sign-up forms, and other landing pages
- Determine audiences and segmentation for email communication
- Manage quality control process for all mass email communication
- Conduct and report out performance analytics:
- Pull results and update performance tracking documents
- Identify the most effective strategies and messages
- Update team on metrics and performance in meetings and written narrative
- Other duties as assigned
Experience, Skills, And Abilities Required
- Minimum of 3-6 years professional email marketing experience with a proven record of success.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills and strong project management skills required.
- Experience working with a CRM like EveryAction/NGP VAN or similar email software required.
- Experience gathering data and using data to drive strategic decisions.
- Basic HTML/CSS skills required.
- Ability to troubleshoot email coding and email marketing software issues.
- Experience working with an advocacy organization strongly preferred.
- With guidance from senior Communications staff, ability to take complex policy/legal jargon and convert it into compelling, engaging, and simple actionable content.
- Ability to plan and manage under a tight deadline with the ability to multitask and be flexible and effective in fast-paced and high-pressure situations.
- Ability to manage up, collaborate with other departments on multiple projects and work effectively with senior colleagues in the organization.
- Ability to think strategically about AU’s big-picture goals and align the email program within those goals.
- Support and passion for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU's mission.
About Americans United For Separation Of Church And State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all of us. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders, and impassioned Americans. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes, and abilities. We welcome people who will want to help us protect religious freedom for all and help to protect the separation of church and state, and we recognize that that requires diverse perspectives.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying, and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
· Religion does not dictate public policy.
· The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
· Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits : Salary is $60,000-75,000 commensurate with experience. Americans United offers a comprehensive benefits package including employer-paid premiums for health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401(k) with match, and commuter subsidy.
Please e-mail a cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified, and a resume to email@example.com