About Americans United for Separation of Church and State:
For nearly 70 years, Americans United for Separation of Church and State has been the only national organization solely dedicated to maintaining the wall of separation between church and state. As a non-partisan 501(C)(3) organization, we advocate for the principle that religious liberty is embodied in the constitutional guarantee that all people have the right to choose their own religious path (or none at all), not one laid out for them by the government.
We advocate for LGBTQ and reproductive rights to ensure that religion is never used as a weapon to discriminate or take away the rights of others, we work to keep tax dollars from supporting houses of worship and religious schools; we strive to keep public schools opening and welcoming to people of all faiths and none; we fight to keep religious displays out of the public sphere; we stand up for the constitutional rights of religious minorities and atheists.
To achieve our goals, Americans United maintains vigorous programs in litigation, public education, grassroots activism and legislative advocacy.
The Director of Digital Strategies will advance the cause of religious freedom in all these dimensions by leading and developing a comprehensive digital program to promote and enhance our advocacy, visibility and impact. The Director of Digital Strategies will take the lead in developing and guiding an online and supporter engagement strategy for Americans United’s presence across all digital channels. The ideal candidate will possess experience in developing and implementing successful digital campaigns and in managing digital staff.
The Director will bring a broad understanding of digital communications, marketing, organizing, and fundraising to advance Americans United’s goals. The Director will set the organization's overall digital strategies, including, but not limited to: expanding our supporter base and engaging supporters in advocacy efforts; developing, in collaboration with fundraising staff, a digital fundraising strategy; and directing the organization's efforts across social media, email and web platforms.
The Director will develop and implement a digital plan for the organization that will include consistent measurement and evaluation strategies to monitor the success of Americans United’s digital efforts. The Director will supervise the management of our website and microsites, and ensure that they are up to date and user-friendly; direct overall email strategy, including developing creative ways to improve Americans United's use of email communications; expand Americans United’s social-media footprint (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other platforms); stay current about emerging digital strategies and best practices; incorporate new technologies and strategies as appropriate, ensure that online and offline outreach strategies operate in sync; and train our staff on digital tools and tactics. The Director will ensure that all digital strategies support, and are consistent with, Americans United’s overall organizational goals, communications strategies, messaging and branding.
The Director will report to the organization’s Executive Director, manage a two-person digital team and coordinate closely with departmental directors, who will provide substantial digital content. This Director will work especially closely and in cooperation with the Director of Communications.
- 5- 8 years of experience in digital communications, including in a leadership capacity, with a proven track record of developing and implementing successful digital communications programs for issue/advocacy/campaigning organizations, and a record of strategic thinking to create new ways to organize and communicate on digital platforms.
- Experience working on digital advocacy, fundraising and marketing campaigns or in grassroots or campaigning organizations.
- Management experience, including experience managing digital staff working in both technical and content-focused capacities.
- Significant experience with CMS and CRMs and online organizing platforms.
- Knowledge about production elements of the web such as HTML/CSS, WordPress (or similar content management systems), Photoshop, and other key tools.
- Experience managing engagement via Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and strong attention to detail.
- Experience managing search engine optimization and digital analytics.
- Creative approach in pursuing organizing opportunities.
- Experience analyzing email and digital campaign performance and providing reports and recommendations
- A thoughtful, analytical approach to managing complex tasks.
- The ability to balance competing priorities, meet deadlines, and manage workflow processes involving multiple individuals and teams.
- Experience working both collaboratively and independently, and the ability to make quick decisions and exercise sound judgment.
- Commitment to Church-State Separation issues.
To apply, please submit a resume; three writing samples such as email or web copy, and a cover letter describing your professional background, including examples of results-oriented strategic thinking, experience using specific digital tools, and management experience.
Please tell us where you saw this posing and send materials to email@example.com. Applications accepted until position is filled. No calls please.