About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
For nearly 70 years, Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) has been the only national organization solely dedicated to maintaining the wall of separation between church and state. As a non-partisan 501(C)(3) organization, we advocate for the principle that religious liberty is embodied in the constitutional guarantee that all people have the right to choose their own religious path (or none at all), not one laid out for them by the government. We advocate for LGBTQ and reproductive rights to ensure that religion is never used as a weapon to discriminate or take away the rights of others, we work to keep tax dollars from supporting houses of worship and religious schools; we strive to keep public schools opening and welcoming to people of all faiths and none; we fight to keep religious displays out of the public sphere; we stand up for the constitutional rights of religious minorities and atheists. To achieve our goals, Americans United maintains vigorous programs in litigation, public education, grassroots activism and legislative advocacy.
The Director of Marketing and Digital Engagement will advance the cause of religious freedom in all these dimensions by developing and implementing both a comprehensive marketing strategy for the organization and discrete digital engagement campaigns that promote and enhance AU’s growth, visibility, advocacy and impact. The Director will bring an entrepreneurial spirit and a vision for how to engage new audiences and broaden the organization’s base in support of AU’s mission.
In this highly collaborative position, the Director will work with departments across the organization – including Communications, Legislative, Field, Legal and Development – to identify objectives, target audiences, messages and appropriate marketing tactics to reach those objectives. The Director will be the lead in developing and guiding a supporter engagement strategy across all digital channels employing campaigns around current issues to educate and activate supporters. The Director will lead efforts to help develop a marketing and communications plan for the organization. The ideal candidate will possess experience in communication and marketing strategy, digital tools, developing and implementing successful marketing and digital campaigns and in managing staff.
The Director must have a broad understanding of digital communications including marketing, organizing, and fundraising to advance AU’s goals. The Director will set the organization's overall digital strategies, including, but not limited to: expanding our supporter base and engaging supporters in advocacy and field efforts; developing, in collaboration with fundraising staff, a digital fundraising strategy; and directing the organization's efforts across social media, email and web platforms.
As part of the comprehensive marketing and communications plan, the Director will implement consistent measurement and evaluation strategies to monitor the success of AU’s efforts. The Director will supervise the management of our website and microsites, and ensure that they are up to date and user-friendly; direct overall email strategy, including developing creative ways to improve AU's use of email communications; expand AU’s social-media footprint (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other platforms); stay current about emerging digital strategies and best practices; incorporate new technologies and strategies as appropriate, ensure that online and offline outreach strategies operate in sync; and train our staff on digital tools and tactics. The Director will ensure that all marketing and digital strategies support, and are consistent with, AU’s overall organizational goals, communications strategies, messaging and branding.
The Director will report to the organization’s Executive Director, manage a two-person digital team to develop some messaging, digital content and marketing materials in concert with department directors.
- 8-10 years of experience in marketing and communications, including in a leadership capacity, with a proven track record of developing and implementing successful digital communications programs for issue/advocacy/campaigning organizations, and a record of strategic thinking to create ways to organize and communicate with new audiences.
- Experience working on digital advocacy, fundraising and writing marketing campaigns.
- Management experience, including experience managing digital staff working in both technical and content-focused capacities.
- Significant experience with CMS and CRMs and online organizing platforms. Experience with NGP VAN or Every Action platform a plus.
- Knowledge about production elements of the web such as HTML/CSS, WordPress (or similar content management systems), Photoshop, and other key tools.
- Experience managing engagement via Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and strong attention to detail.
- Experience managing search engine optimization and digital analytics.
- Creative approach in pursuing organizing opportunities.
- Experience analyzing email and digital campaign performance and providing reports and recommendations
- A thoughtful, analytical approach to managing complex tasks.
- The ability to balance competing priorities, meet deadlines, and manage workflow processes involving multiple individuals and teams.
- Experience working both collaboratively and independently, and the ability to make quick decisions and exercise sound judgment.
- Commitment to church-state separation issues.
To apply, please submit a resume; three writing samples such as email, web copy or a marketing plan, and a cover letter describing your professional background, including examples of results-oriented strategic thinking, experience using specific digital tools, and management experience. Please tell us where you saw this posting and send materials to email@example.com . Applications accepted until position is filled. No calls please.